19 June, 2009

"The Hills" Are Alive With the Sound of Screeching Girls in TriBeCa


Trekked from my sick bed yesterday to B&N in TriBeCa, stifling a nagging cough and aches, to catch a glimpse of reality queen bee Lauren Conrad. It just seemed worth it after so many seasons of critiquing her.

Got there about 15 minutes before 7pm only to learn from a B&N clerk that 600 wristbands had been distributed. So I bought a copy of "L.A. Candy" and hoped L.C. would be willing to Jane Hancock it.

Got in line with everyone from hair-tossing college freshman and itty bitty tweens to Uptown-sounding Dominican girls and gum-smacking black girls. The queue snaked its way around rows and rows of shelves, from International Travel and Medicine to Diet, Relationships, and Study Aids.

Finally, after more than two hours (during which I nearly gave up several times only to be prodded back into place by a band of fans), we could see her. Seeing Conrad in person made it clear that all the fawning is probably about a veneer of perfection she projects. Not a hair out of place, two hours of scribbling her signature and she was just as seemingly sweet and cheery when I got up to her, #620 in line.

Where her co-stars and Hollywood peers often seem to be fucking up face-forward, she has a certain dignity and decorum. Her onscreen insistence that her friends follow suit can make her seem prissy and uptight, even cold, but in fact I think she's clear about where her personal boundaries are.

I know a guy who when we first met told me I looked like the kind of girl who walked around with a list in my pocket outlining the things I would and wouldn't do. Hated that assessment, but maybe it's accurate. L.C., with her flawless manicure and polished exterior, worked as the moral center of that show; and she probably has a list, too, lol.

So I told her she looked great, and she gave me a raspy "Uh! Thank You!" and quick chatter. I was going to rant about how she CLEARLY didn't write this book, how she has a BOOK DEAL, but ol' girl just seems charmed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i definately think u carry a list like lc

PyT said...

i love the idea of being an LG ('list girl'). busy days at work demand to-do lists, so why wouldn't our busy lives warrant a similar treatment - a to-not-do list, especially for those who know what they want in life (e.g., fame or love) and who they wany to be when they get it (respected, loved). i wonder how many young women would have been spared the humiliation of leaked sex-tapes, uploaded nude pics, and reality tv castings, if they had put pen to paper and thought more long-term about their decisions. just my 0.02.

blackgirlnamedbecky said...

A to-not-do list, lol. I like your take on it, PyT. The beauty is that lists can always be shredded and re-made.