22 December, 2009

So Lame


First time I came across the term "landsman" was years ago while reading the Joyce Maynard memoir of her relationship with reclusive J.D. Salinger.

The "Catcher in the Rye" author said he'd read then-18-year-old Maynard's 1972 manifesto about her generation and knew immediately they were landsmen.

Etymologically speaking, it comes from the word for a fellow Jew who hails from the same town or district, usually in Eastern Europe.

I like to think of blogger Amit, the boy genius (above) from Tenn., behind Lame Basics as one of my landsman - only he's so much cooler than me [laughs] and I've told him as much.

When he's not filling out grad school applications, he's documenting his wares aka "lame basics", excavating old Japanese films, or bigging up his girl, Jane, who fashion heads will know from Sea of Shoes.

No comments: