22 January, 2010

The Natural High That the Fugees Bring


Shout to the brother Wyclef, who was holding down his brethren well before it was in vogue. I still remember the frantic running among all my friends to set the VCR the first time 'Clef showed up on a nationally televised awards show draped in the Haitian flag.

This, at a time, when the dirty little secret was that we were still having to forcibly out Haitiens attempting to pass for Jamaican or some such, giving rise to the term "Ja-fakin."

The subsequent success of The Fugees (18 million albums sold) did more symbolically for Haitian self-regard, particularly in the diaspora, than I think can be quantified.

With all of the concerts for Haiti relief that are in the works, I have to say my fantasy is a Fugees reunion.

If comedian Dave Chappelle could get them to set aside their differences for one afternoon in Bed-Stuy, I don't see why the trio couldn't transcend any bitterness for Port-au-Prince.

No comments: