02 November, 2009

Raymond vs. Raymond


A couple days ago, I caught an episode of PBS' American Masters (ugh, I love this long-running series), focussing on the legendary Marvin Gaye. On a random note, I didn't know Marvin's father - an abusive, troubled minister who shot and killed his son in 1984 - had a serious cross-dressing habit!

Anyway, the segment in which they revisited Marvin's post-divorce album, Here, My Dear, reminded me of Usher, who's dissolving his own marriage to the much-maligned Tameka Foster. During their union, Foster was Yoko Ono'd on nearly every blog; women just couldn't stomach her.


Gaye spun the strife, conflict, and projected alimony payments from his crumbling union with Anna Gordy into Here, My Dear. That LP included "Anna's Song," kinda like "Papers" for the late '70s. After Usher's lukewarm Here I Stand, maybe he'll find his post-nuptial fire like Marvin did.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hughh..I feel that.

Anonymous said...

lol Here I stand definitely wasn't luke warm...wasn't confessions hot, but definitely wasn't luke warm! "do you critics listen to music or do you just skim through it!" lol

-G.C