21 November, 2009

Georgia (O'Keeffe) On My Mind



All of me is waiting for you to touch the center of me with the center of you.

That's Georgia O'Keeffe from one of hundreds of letters she wrote to her mentor and husband, the photographer Alfred Stieglitz. I don't know about you but I think there's something lost in the shorthand of email and text messaging. That's a love letter.

This is not, lol: Cnt wait 2 c u.

There are those artists you overlook because your earliest exposure to them was decidedly low-brow - like dentist's office waiting room low-brow. At least that's where I remember first seeing American artist Georgia O'Keeffe's (1887-1986) blooming flower paintings.

But the painter's oeuvre is so much more than climaxing flora or throbbing wombs. She was creating studies on nature. I got to see those as well as her watercolors and charcoal drawings dating back to the 1910s up-close this past week at the Whitney's exhibit of her work, "Georgia O'Keeffe: Abstraction".

Her technique - borrowed from Modernist photography - was radical - but her process was all emotion.

(Seen above, one of my faves, "Wave, Night", 1928, Oil on canvas) Whitney Museum of American Art, 75th and Madison Ave., 6 to 77th Street.

No comments: