05 October, 2009

Dark & Lovely: A Good HAIRstory


There were three things I wanted when I was starting school for the first time:

1. A LISP
2. A BROKEN ARM
3. A HEAD OF STRAIGHT HAIR


The Long Island Catholic school I went to from pre-K-8th was initially predominantly white, and for the first couple years, I was the token black girl (named becky) in my grade. Whenever you're outnumbered, whatever the majority is doing/being can seem appealing, sanctioned.


So no matter how many Cosby-worthy affirmations about how beautiful and gifted I heard I was at home, when I stepped onto that asphalt playground, felt like I came up short.

Since the Tiffanys and Danielles had lisps - forget that this was a speech impediment, I used to fake one for good measure. Broken arms and legs requiring casts that begged to be signed and doodled on? OMG, I wanted a cast! (But I never broke any bones and my theory is that my Caribbean family didn't ski.)



And they had hair I noticed most when the last bell rang: In one sweep, they'd slip zippered jackets over uniforms and fling a grip of hair out from pressed collars. Like the shampoo commercials. I mean, Dark & Lovely was good, but I wanted to be Pert Plus, Head and Shoulders above my classmates.

Years later, I'd chop it all off, go back to the natural essence, before finally realizing it doesn't define me.

So I get why Chris Rock thought Good Hair was a compelling topic for a documentary. Opening this Friday, and nationwide Oct. 23, Rock is pulling the curtain back on black girls' relationship with their hair. From what I've seen so far, I think it's flawed by sweeping generalizations, but dude is a comedian not a professor of African-American studies.

I'm curious, will you see it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I def will!

Justine Reyes said...

Beccs, u outdid yourself! Love the pic, of course :0) My fave post so far!

Unknown said...

that chris rock shit looks FUNNY