11 August, 2009

Carol's Daughter, Meet Angelina's Beautiful Daughter, Zahara


This is just an aside. I always pause when I come across tabloid photos of actress Angelina Jolie with her adorable daughters if only because the adopted, Ethiopia-born Zahara regularly appears with her hair uncombed.

I could swear that I heard her partner, Brad Pitt, had been introduced to the Carol's Daughter line of hair products and was delighted. So either they learn to plait and detangle her hair or enlist someone to do it for them.

Black girls uniquely learn to manage their hair from those childhood experiences with our elders passing hands through it. With my mom, her nieces, five paternal aunts, and a grandmother frequently within braiding distance of my head, I often felt like one of those headless mannequins they use to instruct on at beauty schools. But I learned what I liked and how to care for my mane.

Not to mention discovering the vast array of hair conditioning tools available. Years before Carol's Daughter, there was grease;) Dax, Kuza, Pink Oil Moisturizer, Moisture Max, Optimum...

2 comments:

Asha said...

Beccs, I am of the mind that it is racism that drives white parents of black children to run around with uncombed hair. It's the rare sighting that a young, mixed child of a person with means, boy or girl, will have combed or cut hair. I think wealthy white parents sincerely believe it's "cute" to let black children roam in what they imagine is our natural state. Any of the many encounters they should have with black children who have black parents should tell them, that as a general rule, we do our children's hair (even if these encounters are limited to the television.)

If I choose to let my kid's hair be "wild", I'm making a political choice against all the hair politics I've been subjected to as a black woman. Whites don't have that experience, so they can't make that exception to the rule. There's nothing mysterious about black hair. Comb it, brush it, cut it, moisturize it. Seriously.

We're talking about people of means here, so pay a stylist just like the one they pay for Maddox's 'hawk. It's sher primitivism that allows them to believe it's okay. Maddona's guilty of the same pathetic crime. At least Tom Cruise kept Connor's hair tight.

Amycarry said...

know this: If Kitchen faucet is not resolved, you can choose a regular point of the brand. General formal goods are manufacturers of brand identity, and some Antique brass faucet product or some quality time products are often pasted some paper labels only, even without any markings, be sure to pay attention to when buying Bathroom mirror.