10 July, 2009

Someone's Gonna Love You on a Black Summers' Night


I'm almost afraid to download the entire Maxwell album. Frightened that the disc, BLACKsummers'night, out now after an 8-year respite, couldn't possibly live up to the large expectations set forth by the lingering lead single, "Pretty Wings."

I wish all men got better with time the way this neo-soul singer has. I've had two Maxwell sightings in the last half decade or so. The first was at an Urban Outfitters in the West Village and he was chatty with me when I went up to him giggling and giddy.

The second, last year, in TriBeCa, was just around the corner from the Cary Building where my newspaper's offices were situated.

He had shorn his thicket of locs by now so I had to give a second look, and as he unchained his bike from a railing, I looked again. He seemed serious, far off. I wanted to say something meaningful.

But what? Thank you for recreating Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work"? That Urban Hang Suite was the soundtrack to which I fell in love with a boy and "Reunion" played as it came to a halt?

I said nothing. I watched him mount his bike in dark cargo pants and a ratty black t-shirt, riding down West Broadway, perhaps a version of these lyrics forming in his mind: "If I can't have you/ Let love set you free / to let you flap your pretty wings around."

How to describe his face, every visible muscle? Mmm...he was heartbreakingly handsome, the stuff of sonnets and rambling soliloquies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love what you wrote. I love that he was chatty with you the first meeting. I LOVE that you DID NOT approach him the 2nd time, and that you observed what you did. He is beautiful and deserves to have a life like the rest of us.

blackgirlnamedbecky said...

Really appreciate the feedback, and I think he appreciated being given some space.

Cinthia said...

You know, seeing his latest video got me thinking : Cin, you have never closely paid attention to Maxwell's work other than Ascension and Luxury (Cococure). o 2 weeks ago, I've investigated, and I'm glad I did... a suivre...

Cinthia said...

PS: I think it was only because I was 12-15 years old at the time... was in my Bad Boy Ent/the Firm/No Limit phase ;)