11 July, 2009

Poppy: Making It Safe For a Discerning Girl To Sport a Coach Bag Again?


Although it was never a prestige brand with the price point of logoed counterparts like Gucci or Louis Vuitton, for a time Coach enjoyed a respectable reputation as an entry-level label for aspiring fashionistas. One of my favorite gifts was a slim, Kindle-sized tan Coach shoulder purse I got for one birthday from my brother.

But while the houses of Gucci and LV battled counterfeiters and Canal Street bootleggers, rapidly dreaming up intricate designs that were harder to knock-off, Coach's relative affordability precluded illegal reproduction - and made it an easy target for shall we say, less fashion-minded customers.

The label was eventually hijacked by buyers who took off like gum-snapping thieves in the night with the oversize-C's slapped onto everything from their sneakers to wallet chains and wristlets.



But the company president, Reed Krakoff, aims to remedy this with the newly launched Poppy collection, which buries the signature C's in favor of bold color and rich textures like a scribbled-over vinyl tote and more grown-up patent "Glam" bags. Are you sold?

1 comment:

Justine Reyes said...

I remember that bag! My first "bag" was a coach bag i bought at the outlets in high school. I brought it to school everyday and carried my books in my hand. i thought i was too cute!