16 April, 2009

Rick Ross's Cocaine Dreams


Sure, the overwhelming evidence points to an incongruous pre-rap career in his local Department of Corrections. And maybe he wouldn't know a gram of cocaine from a teaspoon of Johnson's baby powder, but what Rick wrought, seems not even Curtis could put asunder. It's Deeper than Rap. Um, actually, with Ross it's just about rap. The detailed drug trade escapades - as slick and glossy as a badge - are more than likely fiction. But Ross is a skilled storyteller. A verse off his Avery Storm-backed "Rich off Cocaine" includes this verse:

Vacation to Haiti
It nearly broke my heart
Seein' kids starve I thought about my Audemars
Sellin dope ain't right
I put it on my life
Chickens put me in position to donate the rice


For an island with a storied history but a ransacked recent past, hearing it discussed on record with even a semblance of humanity, if only to evoke the gut-wrenching poverty, gives some solace.

1 comment:

Justine Reyes said...

I know an ounce of baby powder when i see it lying on a mirrored table, too bad hotel employees don't know the difference! lol