15 April, 2009

Cassie's Been a Bad, Bad Girl


So pop&B starlet Cassie recently took clippers to her tresses, leaving a patch of exposed scalp above one ear. Reportedly, as she explained on her Twitter feed, she was looking to entrench her "Rock Star" status and try out her nascent I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude. Well, this gave me pause because I can think of few other singers who embody rock star status less than the lightweight songbird. For starters, being an "official" jumpoff to your label's chief executive officer is not a good look, nor is joining in on what I imagine was a session with The Clutch, assembled for a writer's circle, and presumably lamenting how you're tired/ tired/ tired of being his unofficial girl. Moreover, while Cassie's a gorgeous girl with a few hits behind her, she has hardly built what I can even generously refer to as a catalog. A few radio-ready hits, Ryan Leslie bangers, but nothing sturdy enough for a fan to structure a playlist around. In short, being signed to Bad Boy doesn't make you a Bad Girl, regardless of how much strappy leather Louis Vuitton and Balmain you loop around your ankles.

2 comments:

Justine Reyes said...

True, but i still like this look for her. Aesthetically it works.

Cinthia said...

Cassie has no personality, period. she can't dance, can't sing live.. though I do like some of her pret-a-porter hits: long way to go, me & U, unofficial girl, sometimes, kiss me...