25 March, 2010

'Body Marked Up Like a Subway in Harlem'


At the hair salon I went to regularly until it closed shop (market forces), the stylists were largely of Dominican descent and the clients were, like me, very old school about hair, e.g. no weaves, extensions.

We generally wore our hair long/longer and subscribed to the benefits of the bi-monthly roller set. Anyway, one summer day I made a bank run mid-wash with my rollers and net.

On my way back, noticed a handsome, heavily-tattooed guy in jeans and a white tee. He had that Irish coloring and his head was shaved close.

Leaning on a hydrant outside the salon door, I looked around and wondered whether he was just people-watching. The midtown salon full of well-coiffed girls often drew stares.

Soon, a very pregnant black girl with light brown hair stuffed her Apple laptop into a tote and strode right into tattooed guy's arms.

They made such a beautiful pairing but I admit I was initially surprised. And yet, I shouldn't have been. I appreciate the artfully tattooed body and am often drawn to guys with that look. Of course, not all ink is made alike (hip-hop has appropriated the parlor look and some rappers and athletes give it a bad name).

But Pittsburgh rapper Wiz Khalifa's needle-work is aite, as is Cali's own Tyga.

(Top, "Glamour Break, Harlem," Ruben Natal-San Miguel, 2009)

No comments: