14 September, 2009

Where Do Broken Icons Go? To Oprah's Show. Whitney Houston Opens Up.



One year, for my catholic school's annual Talent Show, I decided I'd perform a lip-synced rendition of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know?" So I come home the day of the show (after weeks of rehearsal) with a copy of the single and told my Grams she had to do my hair JUST LIKE WHITNEY. [Laughs]

My septugenarian West Indian grandmother was all, "little young ladies don't go out with their hair out!" We argued, argued, and then compromised on a single braid. She tied a long swath of lace ribbon around my big head and sent me on my way with my pastel leggings, boots, and chunky sweater. (Placed first by the way! Haha.)

But my Whitney thing was always more than poster-hanging fandom; I adored this woman. During her surprisingly candid interview today with Oprah Winfrey, I remembered why. Whitney, looking luminous in a chocolate-bronze shift, remarked, "I didn't know about the largeness of what they call icon."

The Newark, N.J., native who grew up waiting in the wings of fame (mom Cissy a well-known gospel singer, and cousin Dionne Warwick a chart-topping recording artist), admitted nothing prepares you for success on that scale - All At Once.

If you wrote her off that season Bravo aired "Being Bobby Brown," where she prowled Atlanta in a tired fur coat, drowning in drugs and dysfunction with Mr. "My Prerogative," O's two-part season premiere is worth watching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww I loved this post!!! It took me back.....How many times did we all sing the greatest love of all as if we were Whitney!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me.