28 March, 2009

The Gloved One


Maybe you were like me, and capped second grade with a sacred ceremony to rival a chapel wedding in its grandeur. For my First Communion - a religious rite Caribbean Catholic households are known to fete with lavish receptions - my mother outfitted this 7-year-old in an ecru gown and wrist-length gloves of elaborate lacework. At the time, I hated that my dress wasn't looseleaf-paper white like every other girls' (lady had to be different!), but I remember loving my handwear. Never mind that I looked like a tiny cake topper - I was having a "Like a Virgin" moment. Now that I'm all grown up, I find something so devilishly naughty about white lace gloves. Say what you will about the former Mrs. Ritchie, but after all these years, she still owns the look. (W, March 2009)

1 comment:

Justine Reyes said...

Ahhh communion yes, white lace gloves and socks! We were all Material Girls once upon a time but only now understanding the lyrics!