07 February, 2009

Love of My Life


Met a guy a few months ago on a New Jersey Transit platform. Asked whether I was a Delta, and did I like long walks, jazz clubs, Barack Obama. Said I seemed like the kind of girl who could only be with a guy who was visionary, ambitious, creative. I've often been drawn to the dude with the most eclectic record (see Mp3) collection; with the obscure, imported comic books preserved in a box; with his notebooks full of charts, prose, and rhymes; the one slinging his guitar like an ax, his camera like a gun. In a city like Gotham though, it can be hard to distinguish the humble, thinking, creative type in a sea of pencil jean-wearing boys who can shop like a m'uu'r but whose minds are hollow. connecting can be confusing. If you swab the relationship trajectory of someone such as Erykah Badu, you'll of course turn up a predilection for MCs -Andre 3000, Common, the D.O.C., and most recently Jay Electronica (pictured) - sweeping aside for a moment her grasp on family values. Lady clearly has a yen for men who commit. To the art that is. And I can understand it.

1 comment:

exo said...

mo axe, no gun. but you keep my dagger sharp. always.