24 January, 2009

I Want Pastry!


If you've tuned into the rather disappointing 'The City,' then you've probably caught 'Daddy's Girls,' which directly follows the limp, Sex & the City-manquee. On 'Daddy's Girls,' sister act and rap scions Angela and Vanessa Simmons are NYC- (Saddle River, N.J.) transplants go Hollywood. Think of 'Three's Company' (yes, I'm a little too familiar with '80s sitcom lore), but with an all-girl pad, and instead of Mrs. Roper, clad in print-heavy caftans, dropping by, fashion-forward neighbor Alycia shows up to talk ex-boyfriends, make plans, and engage in general tomfoolery. Like most 'reality' shows on MTV, this show too, while refreshingly realistic, functions as product placement for whatever the girls are hawking - in this case, their nascent clothing line Pastry. After watching them do everything from hike to date in pieces from the range, I had the Bow Wow Wow's 'I Want Candy' re-mixing itself in my head: I Want Pastry! But incredibly, a cursory look at the Pastry section at retail turned up none of the toothache-inducing Tees featured on the show. Just a bunch of neon-hued castoffs covered in animal prints. Not a cupcake in sight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooowee angela simmons. Hate the show tho

-Ron

Justine Reyes said...

My, my my... I love what you've done w/ the place!