14 December, 2005

Black Girl Lost



When I named this blog, I had Nas's catalog on my mind. And isn't Lauryn now the ultimate 'Black Girl Lost'? In 2002, caught her uneven acoustic set at Carnegie Hall (pictured), where she sang, preached, and lamented, a far cry from the 'Miseducation' of four years earlier. In 1998, we cut off the relaxer, loc'd our hair, declared we Used to Love Him, and generally annointed Lauryn our patron saint of getting free. Diamond shining. In an interview with TRACE this year, a bitter Lauryn related that she'd learned the "lust and insecurities of men." But I think it's about more than a broken heart or disillusionment. Just hope she'll finally sing about it. In the meantime, I continue to draw inspiration from what she has contributed to the culture.

No comments: